Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

There is Nothing Wrong with Being Introverted

I give up. I'm tired of trying to be something I'm not: an extrovert. I've been doing self-improvement for years, especially the last few years, and I realized that there are some things that just don't change.

Personally, I have challenges that occur when I speak; my thoughts never translate well into words, I don't form very good ideas right away, I often forget particular words or names which then brings my whole train of thought to a screeching halt, and I often say the wrong things.
Whenever I talk to someone, they never quite understand what I'm really trying to say. My husband tells me this all the time. In fact, the more I try to explain it, the more confused they get. My mom has been telling me as long as I can remember that I just need to practice and be more sociable, but I've tried. I'm still the same.

I like to get intuitive readings about myself, mostly because it's fascinating how all sorts of different methods and people all give me the same information in different ways. I've had tarot card readings, Mayan calendar readings, astrology readings, Life Readings... The Mayan calendar reading was the most interesting because Raymond Tarpey described me perfectly with a single metaphor. I'm like a king or ruler. I have wise things to say, but if someone doesn't get it, I should just stop talking. This is 100% true, and it's taken me about a year to realize that I've been trying to be someone I'm not.

In the world of positivity and self-development and ego-conquering, I've noticed that people often view introverted traits as things that need to be improved upon. I've been especially hard on myself, trying to push myself far from my comfort zone (with little success). After reading or watching other people's work on the internet, I realized that introverts are just as powerful as extroverts, but in their own way. Unfortunately, society favors extroversion, tending to view them as more intelligent, attractive, or capable, even though it statistically is not true. Introverts need to take time to develop their opinions, which may seem bad in a fast-moving world, but as a result they come up with better ideas. This blog is a result of a ton of ideas and experiences that have been stewing in my head.

Now that I've decided to be who I am, I'm going to focus more on building on my strengths. We only have a finite amount of time and energy. I don't want to squander my energy in areas where I would make very little gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment