Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why I founded One Universal Market

Ever since I was a little kid, I was passionate about the environment and animals. I also loved video games, art, and animation, so I went to college to get a degree in animation. With little self-confidence, I did okay in school, but I was very lucky to get a job related to my career. I was working at a movie studio for almost 2 years, where I learned a lot about myself and working with others. This studio quickly became a toxic work environment. Everyday was a "us" versus "them" power struggle, so both sides were constantly angry, unhappy, unhealthy (due to the long hours), and it just kept getting worse. It made me angry because I saw all of my friends and coworkers working their butts off, while receiving nothing but more bad news and treatment. We just wanted to do a good job, but we were treated like we were the problem.

At the same time, I realized that this isn't what I want to do with my life. I wanted to help people. Everyone. I wanted to make a green company, create an awesome workplace that rivaled Google, donate millions of dollars to charities, and help make the world a better place in general. I want to be able to travel anywhere with no fear of getting attacked because I'm an American, I want to be able to drink clean water straight from my faucet, I want others to be able to take care of themselves and others. But I couldn't do this while working there, especially in such a negative atmosphere. There are a lot of bad things in the world. I want to make them better by stopping it at its source. So like Gandhi suggested, I started becoming the change I want to see.

In May I quit my job and focused on One Universal Market. I sold my car, started living off my savings, and bought inventory. I've always second-guessed my abilities and worried about a lot of things, but I realized that fear is the only thing that was holding me back. I finally felt confidence in myself, even though my friends and family were a little worried. The past 5 months have been very hard, but I've learned and grown so much. I take nothing for granted anymore.

One Universal Market is an extension of me and my dreams. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm nice and laugh a lot. But if I get angry, angry is an understatement. I've turned my anger and frustration with the world, into a positive vehicle for change.

I've always thought that giving money to businesses is like voting. Everything you buy influences which companies stay, what food you are given, what you hear and see, everything. It's apparent to me that we need to be more careful with our spending, because it shapes our future. If we continue to buy destructive or wasteful junk, then that's what we'll get. It's becoming increasingly important to support those who care about the health of your family, our environment, our economy. Even if you never buy from me, please buy from someone else who does! Every little bit counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment